Wine integration with native (Gtk, Qt, Cocoa/Carbon) themes

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 1 10:16:53 CDT 2008

2008/11/1 Tomasz Sałaciński <tsalacinski at gmail.com>:
> IMHO WINE developers should first focus on applications, not their look.
> I believe most users would like to see Visual Studio running in gray
> instead of not running as native.

Application functionality is important. Applications should run as
well as they do on Windows (ignoring Vista in that statement!) on Wine
out of the box, without the user having to do anything aside from run
the installer as they do in Windows.

That said, usability and the look and feel of an application are
important. Just compare Firefox 2 running on Linux or Mac with Firefox
3 doing the same.

Also, not all the developers know how things like the kernel,
networking or cryptographic APIs work on Windows.

I am a GUI developer, so I am focusing on what I know the best -- the UI.

- Reece