Wine integration with native (Gtk, Qt, Cocoa/Carbon) themes

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sat Nov 1 10:49:50 CDT 2008

A tool which creates a .msstyles theme basically does the same as a uxtheme engine would do. A uxtheme engine plugin would use gtk/qt/cocoa to load colors, bitmaps and so on in a representation needed by uxtheme. The winetheme app would do the same but also have a way to write this data back from uxtheme into a .msstyles theme. I don't know the uxtheme API but it might already offer functionality for this (I mean creating a .msstyles theme from source).

The winetheme app would have plugins for gtk, qt and so on. Using winecfg you would need to set the WineLook to gtk/qt/cocoa and the winetheme app would use the requested backend. At startup winetheme could also detect which of the plugins are available. Plugins are compiled at Wine compile time and when a new toolkit comes out (gtk2->gtk3, qt3->qt4,..) we need to update the plugin or add a new one.

Roderick