Wine integration with native (Gtk, Qt, Cocoa/Carbon) themes

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Sun Nov 2 16:52:29 CST 2008

For fun I looked a bit at the format. An msstyles file is just a win32 resource file. It contains various sections each containing strings, colors or bitmaps. Colors are just stored in a text file. Uxtheme parses this text file and loads the colors 1:1 from this section into the registry.

The main issue is creating a resource file it can either be compiled using wrc or it could an empty file could be created from a program and then updated using UpdateResource and friends. The first solution is the nicest way but not everyone might install wrc.

Anyway desktops will never move to this microsoft format. I think both gtk and qt are now moving to xml based formats. We could define our own spec for that but I doubt they will move to this. They attempted before to use the same theme format but it didn't work out well.

Roderick