Implementing WFP

C.J. Adams-Collier cjac at colliertech.org
Wed Nov 5 17:45:06 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 04:37:37PM -0500, Steven Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:54 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier <cjac at colliertech.org> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > What steps need to be taken to implement the WFP API using libwine?

To answer my own question, it looks like the event handling
functionality can be emulated using pf_queue... (more inline below)

> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb427363(VS.85).aspx
> >
> > The first platform I'd like to see implementation on is Linux/iptables.
> >
> > *BSD/pf is next on the list followed by Solaris/ipf
>
> Do you have an application in mind that requires it? Getting anything
> implemented around here requires in most cases first identifying some
> third party app that needs said functionality.

Yes, but I've got to bring it up with management before I discuss it
much publicly.  You know how the biz folks are, I'm sure :)

> You can try stubbing out the dll fwpuclnt.dll and see if that's enough
> to make the application in question somewhat work and submit it. After
> that you will need to submit the IDL headers and start implementing
> the required functions. Send small patches and expect them to get
> ignored or rejected on the first few go attempts. Once you've got some
> of the functionality implemented if nothing you've submitted has been
> merged and it looks good, then you can resend the whole series and it
> might get merged.

Sounds good to me.  I see y'all are using git, so I might as well
proceed on a branch and send diffs at interesting points.  I'm sure
I'll have questions for the group as I progress, since I've not
touched this codebase before.  I knew I should have learned the win32
api before now...

> As with anything, writing regression test from the start will
> increases your odds of getting your patches merged in sooner.

Sounds good to me.

> Thanks
> Steven

Cheers,