wine build time: 6 (or 3) minutes with q9400

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Nov 7 10:04:32 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Hans Leidekker <hans at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>> sec  cpu    wine   notes
>> 676 e7200 June http://kegel.com/new-computer-2008.html ubuntu 8.04
>> 615 e7300 Nov
>> 585 e7400 Nov (estimated, supposedly 5% faster than e7300)
>> 540 e8400 Nov
>> 360 q9400 Nov
>>
>> In all cases, this was with the default optimization
>> level, -O2.  Compiling with -O0 was roughly twice as fast
>> dual core e7300 and e8400 used -j3; quad core -j5.
>
> Does your measurement include running configure?

No, nor make depend.  Nor is it cold boot, it's after 'make clean'.
I didn't control whether there was a previous run, so the cache may be
warm or cold.

> If I run make -j5 twice after 'make clean' on my q6600 2.4GHz system
> and take the second measurement I get 223 seconds.
>
> This is 64bit Ubuntu 8.10 with gcc-4.3.2 and default
> optimization. Or perhaps disk IO is playing a role here?
> I'm using a stripe set of two disks.

Yes, could be disk I/O.  This system has a crappy old parallel IDE drive.
(Could also be the video; this system has an internal graphics card.)
- Dan