.ANI patch

Andrew Riedi andrewriedi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 14:49:24 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Krzysztof Drewniak
<krzysdrewniak at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a .ANI cursor patch in hacks.git. Would it be possible to
> integrate it into wine? I know of many applications (especcially games)
> that would benefit.
> Thanks
> Krzys D.

Yes and no.  Those patches were originally written by Henri Verbeet
way back when (Thanks a bunch Henri, BTW).  Since then I (and some
other people) have merged what I was able to.  As an example, 32-bit
cursors from Wine beta.  IIRC, the problem with the patches had to do
with the wineserver code.  The wineserver code needs to be altered to
be more efficient and more correctly written.  Unfortunately, I am not
experienced enough to correct the wineserver code.

The trick is that to implement .ani cursors (without causing
regressions in 16-bit programs or having ugly code) we need the
cursors to be stored in the wineserver (which they are not currently).
 We also need the cursors to be in the wineserver for other reasons -
I found this out when I wrote some cursor tests a while back.  Anyhow,
what I *can* do is strip out and clean up (so as to not have dead
code) the code that loads the .ani, and then have it only load the
first frame.  This would basically just convert the .ani into a
regular .cur cursor.  There would be no fancy animation anymore, but
should work for most purposes.

The question is then whether AJ would accept such a patch (as long as
it was written cleanly).  Of course, the patch would be written in
such a way as to avoid making it harder to extend to full .ani
support.  (And be mostly Henri's code.)

--
Andrew Riedi