winehq packages for Debian

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Nov 9 23:39:14 CST 2008

Ben Klein wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm a regular volunteer in the #winehq IRC channel (man_in_shack). Some
> of you may know me :) I also maintain a few applications on AppDB and
> have had a couple of bugs found and fixed via bugzilla posts.
>
> I've been building Wine packages for my Debian systems for a while and
> now I've written myself some helper scripts to make the task trivial :)
> I build both amd64 and i386 packages.

You have it. I believe I've proven my incompetence with making timely
Debian releases.  Talk to me (YokoZar) on IRC.

By the way, the reason the Debian packages started disappearing was
because I kept running into problems setting up my Debian VMs.  Also my
apologies to the 10+ people who've emailed me asking where they've gone
in the past two weeks - I kept expecting to have them up the next day,
and never get around to it.

> I'd like to request that I take over Scott Ritchie's position as
> maintainer for the winehq Debian packages as he seems to have all but
> abandoned Debian package building. I have the following caveats:
> 1) I don't have a suitable place to upload the packages (in terms of
> bandwidth restrictions)

I can put them in the same place now.  The issue for me wasn't uploading
them, but getting them built properly.

> 2) At the moment, I'm not sure if the packages are suitable for an apt
> repository, as I don't have proper Changelogs or source packages. I'm
> not entirely sure what I'd need to do for this, so help would be appreciated

Apt ignores the changelog anyway (even Ubuntu users don't see the
"version differences" in update manager).  It's not hard to get it right
though, I'll mentor you.

> 3) I'm fully set up to produce etch packages (Scott's packages aren't
> etch-compatible any more) as well as packages for lenny and sid

Etch has some missing 32-bit libraries that will give you grief on
amd64, by the way.  That's one reason I sort of gave up on it.

> 4) I'm not asking to take over Ubuntu package building (Scott seems to
> be good at this, and I don't have nor want an Ubuntu system)
> 5) I can be *very* quick to produce packages, as in the day after
> release (or even building packages from non-release revisions in git if
> required)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie