RFC: Proposed new web site design

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:12:18 CST 2008

2008/11/24 Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com>:
> At Wineconf, we made the decision to change the entry page to the Wine
> web site.  The hope was to simplify and stream line it, and to put in
> place the infrastructure to start moving more content to the Wiki.
>
> Jeremy Newman and Jon Parshall have put a lot of time and energy into a
> proposed new design, following what we took away from the meetings at
> Wineconf.

I like the new look - congrats Jeremy and Jon.

> A mock up of that design is up now here:
>  http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/
>
> ...and the theming intended for all 'child' pages of the web site,
> starting with the Wiki:
>  http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/wiki.html

I assume that this will apply to bugzilla, AppDB and the Forum as well.

> Beyond the normal controversy that any new design sparks there is one
> major potential controversial change.
>
> That is, I am asking for prime placement on the download page on behalf
> of CodeWeavers instead of the (stale and ugly, sorry) banner ads we used
> in the past.  You can see our current concept around that positioning here:
>  http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/download.html

My only comment here is that it would be useful to list the 'Office'
and 'Games' versions, along with the CrossOver version number and the
Wine version number that they are based on. That way it is easier to
tell how far off the Wine tip they are (for example if you need a
version or later of Wine) and if there is a new version of CrossOver
available (if you have missed the announcement on the news section).

In addition to this, w.r.t. the AppDB, it may be useful to merge the
Wine AppDB and CrossOver AppDB. That way you'll be able to see whether
Wine, CrossOver Office or CrossOver Games is best for running the
application(s) you are interested in.

> I hope that the general community sees that as a reasonable exchange for
> all of the work we put into Wine and hosting the Wine server, and a vast
> improvement over the banner ads.

+1

- Reece