RFC: Proposed new web site design

Jeff Zaroyko jeffzaroyko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 00:46:46 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> Austin English wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>>> We also don't really need a link to AppDB from the big buttons in the
>>> front - AppDB is only the place to go when you're looking for it (hence
>>> the button in the upper right) or once you know something about Wine
>>> (hence a link in the about page).
>>>

>> I disagree. You could make the same argument against
>> bugzilla/forums/wiki. The frontpage should serve as a portal to the
>> rest of the site. Many times when I needs appdb/wiki, I go to
>> winehq.org and then click the appropriate link.
>>

> I'm not arguing against that - we absolutely should have an AppDB and a
> bugzilla link in the corner.  They're very useful.
>
> I'm just saying such a link doesn't have to also be among the large,
> friendly buttons at the left, which is where a complete newcomer's eyes
> are drawn.  A newcomer who doesn't know what they're looking for, and
> thus probably doesn't want AppDB or Bugzilla yet (but does probably want
> About, Download, or Support)
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie

I'm not a fan of the huge buttons and links, I think they're an eyesore.

I would prefer it to look like how wiki is here
http://wine.codeweavers.com/winehq_new/wiki.html   Also I think the
latest news about the project should be a centrepiece like it is in
the existing design, not swept away to the side,

-Jeff