Wineconf follow up: Cosmetic website changes

Zachary Goldberg zgold at bluesata.com
Mon Oct 6 00:20:56 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> That's right, I foolishly volunteered to put together
> a draft for winehq.org's front page inspired by
> openoffice.org's front page.
>
> The main constraint discussed at wineconf was that
> the site navigation should not change with this
> redesign ('cause that requires lots more work).
>
> Also, it's inaccurate to call this a cosmetic
> change; it's really driven by usability concerns.
> I have a sneaking suspicion that http://wiki.winehq.org
> is at this point a better place to send beginners to
> than http://winehq.org, and that's just wrong...
> our simplest URL should also be our best foot forward.
> - Dan

So there seem to be some fundamental issues conflicting here.
wiki.winehq.org is a good place to send newbies because it has tons of
information, but its not an easy landing page for somebody new to look
at.

OOO's website however has very little in the way of raw information,
however it does have nice and easy aesthetics which directs users to
said information.

Thus it seems what we want is to aesthetically change winehq.org to be
point to the big databases of information we already have.  Am I
correct?

The only real thing we need to do is make our links to answers more
obvious which could be trivially done by adding <h1> around the wiki
link.  More seriously though what are your goals in the redesign?
What do you plan to rip out/keep?

Currently the homepage has a whole bunch of different things, which do
we want to keep?

* Left menu nav for main winehq sites
* About static pages nav
* download nav