Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 12:59:58 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:19 PM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Steven Edwards wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If it's stored in WINEPREFIX, then each time a new prefix is used,
>>> they'll get the prompt each time. Then again, maybe most people aren't
>>> doing this.
>>> How are we tracking apps? By filename/md5sum/filesize/installed filepath?
>>>

>> I don't think enough people really use prefixes currently for it to
>> matter though I'd like to see that change in the future as part of the
>> desktop integration work we discussed at WineConf. Also I think a
>> mixture of name/sha1 hash is a good way to go. It would do wonders for
>> us to tie in to appdb in case there is are tricks and tips for various
>> versions of software such as stock, sp1, sp2, etc.
>>

> How about this for an idea:
>
> The first time and every time thereafter they create a .wine directory,
> they will get the opt-in question?
>
> Any other WINEPREFIX will be ignored.
>
> James McKenzie

I don't see why we need to ignore other prefixes. My concern was
simply do we run this for every prefix creation and store it within
the prefix, or are we going to store it elsewhere, under for example:
'~/.local/wine/survey-status'.

Either way, I'd love to see this done, I'm moreso just curious about
implementation.

- Austin