Do the menu tests work on any Windows version?

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:06:28 CDT 2008

2008/10/10 Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com>:
> Looking over the results on test.winehq.org, the user32 menu tests are
> the worst in terms of failure count (though I suppose crashing tests
> are worse):  they fail over 1000 times on NT4, over 600 times on
> Win9x, and over 300 times on Vista.  The only operating systems on
> which they seem to succeed are Windows 2000 and XP, and they never
> succeeded for me on Windows XP, so I'm not sure the succeeding results
> are even representative.
>
> Basically, they're the worst offender in terms of reliable results.
> Is there anyone who knows anything about them that can take a look at
> the test failures?

I've looked in on them from time to time.

The Vista failures are due to the logic that is used to calculate the
expected values for the size of menu items is tuned specifically to
2003 and earlier. Vista is doing that calculation differently in the
presence of Aero, so you get the failures. Windows 2008 does not have
these failures, as it is rendering similar to the "Classic" Windows
2000 look.

These size differences cannot be handled with error margins since the
values are completely different. Also, the tests have some involved
calculations that are used to determine the widths (this is likely so
that it can cope with things like font size variance).

I don't know about the failures on other versions though.

- Reece