[try2] advapi32: Implement CredReadDomainCredentials stub and tests

Andrey Turkin andrey.turkin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 15:49:24 CDT 2008

James Hawkins wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Andrey Turkin <andrey.turkin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Imagine broken application which for some reason, e.g. non-allocated memory,
>> supply NULL to this function, and then catch, eat and spew an exception
>> somewhere in different place. Joe the Developer start searching for root
>> cause - he looks at logs, see first-chance exception, look in
>> CredReadDomainCredentials source and see unguarded dereferencing. Is this
>> intended or mistake? That should code really do? The comment would be handy
>> here (at least for me tests wouldn't be the first place to look at for
>> answers in such situation).
>> I can see the value and cannot see any harm, and frankly I am reluctant to
>> issuing [try4] patch with just another minor comment change.
>>

> You just said that the tests crash in Windows.  If the tests crash in
> Windows, then how does this app work there either?  That's the point
> of tests: to verify that our implementation matches native.

We know my implementation and Windows implementation behave identically
and this is documented in tests. At this
point you and me both happy about the comment in tests and tests in
general, right?
Now back to the example. In this example something somewhere went wrong
because of Windows/Wine differences,
 e.g. previous memory allocation failed or something. Completely
unrelated to this particular function, and our Joe should
not spend his time trying to understand the function itself - and code
comments do just that. Joe read the comment, understand
that NULL pointer should not be passed in the first place, and continue
his quest. Sounds useful for me, and certainly looks
harmless (apart from causing this thread to go on).