Sugared Wine

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sat Oct 11 13:02:21 CDT 2008

Am 11.10.2008 um 16:30 schrieb Jeremy White:

> But the key point was that he immediately and *emotionally* was
> grabbed by the value of Wine.

He grabbed _a_ value of Wine, but not the one making Wine unique,
standing out of the crowd of countless competitive technology.
Perhaps he even grabbed the wrong value, putting Wine on par with
Qemu, VMware, VirtualPC, VirtualBox, and all the others.

> And Wine is fundamentally different from and better than PC
> emulation technology.

Well, what "better" means can always be discussed. For me, emulators
just work, running any application I throw at them. At the same time,
Wine is making me headaches and often requires a lot of thinking.
Also, Wine will always be somewhat behind Microsofts newest API
creations by it's very nature.

The single most important app in my business runs flawlessly in an
emulator since the first time I tried. Nevertheless, I've put a lot
of efforts into getting it to run in Wine. Wine has strengths you
can't see at a first glance.

> But the bottom line is that we're human, and our brains work in
> funny ways.

Yes. You're teaching "If you want to use commodity apps, use Sugar.
If you want to use more powerful apps, switch to Windows mode. If you
want to share files between them, understand how these two work
together."

Don't forget, young people don't have the brand recognition-like
experience with the taskbar your John Gilmore has. Unless I miss
something, there's no need to give it them, either.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/