Wineconf follow up: Wine Usage Data Collection

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:45:47 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Zachary Goldberg <zgold at bluesata.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Kai Blin <kai.blin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday 11 October 2008 03:11:38 Austin English wrote:
>>
>>> Can we get back to the original discussion and decide how we want to
>>> collect Wine usage statistics?
>>
>> The only viable proposal I saw was an opt-in in winecfg.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kai
>>
>> --
>> Kai Blin
>> WorldForge developer  http://www.worldforge.org/
>> Wine developer        http://wiki.winehq.org/KaiBlin
>> Samba team member     http://www.samba.org/samba/team/
>> --
>> Will code for cotton.
>>

> More so than _how_ we implement it: I think, as Alexandre pointed out,
> that unless we can establish a clear need for this it won't get
> committed.
>
> I know a lot of us want this just to scratch our internal statistics
> monkeys (myself included) but I get the impression it doesn't pass
> muster unless we can say 'this will help improve Wine because of X'.

Very true. Where it would help is with knowing what apps people are
running. Many people might try Wine, and never get it to work, then
give up without filing a bug. Conversely, some people might have it
work perfectly fine, but since it works great, we never see bugs
filed. By collecting these statistics, we'll be able to know what apps
to focus on, which will give a bit better direction on which bugs to
fix, which features to implement, etc.

--
-Austin