DIB engine status

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Sun Oct 12 17:46:34 CDT 2008

On 9/29/08, Sergey Novosyolov <chi at etersoft.ru> wrote:

>> The first thing, i like to see is a Design in the correct way:
>> Inside gdi32 while using Eng* and friends.
>> (Needed by Printer drivers, and any Display driver including mirror /
>> remote display drivers)
>>
> why can't we release DIB-Engine as own driver? GDI32 functions are main and
> GDI32 calls driver functions in dependence of which type of DC we have
> (printer DC, Xwindow HDC or DIB DC)

Any Driver can call the Graphic Rendering Engine (GRE)
to do parts (or all) of the rendering (and native driver do that):
1: DDB (Driver managed: using any driver specific format)
   (The Driver should do Everything. When the driver call the GRE,
    the DDB is converted to a DIB, GDI renders into the DIB and then
    the DIB is converted back to a DDB)
   => like our winex11.drv and wineps.drv

2: DDB (GDI managed: using DIB format)
   (The driver render, what the driver want to render with hw-support
    and can call the GRE for all the other rendering without converting)
   => Needed for native printer drivers / mirror drivers or
      OpenGL accelerated rendering (stefan did some experiments)

3: DIB
   (GDI renders everything)
   => The current Code is using a X11-DDB (Driver Managed) with
converting
      issues.

With a winedib.drv (the experimental tree is a wrapper around a wine
driver),
native printer drivers / mirror drivers will never work without another
(additional) wrapper.

--

By by ... Detlef