Splitting the appdb Top 25 list

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 17 18:57:07 CDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
>> I'm not a developer, but I joined to make a humble suggestion in a place
>> where someone might actually have the power to act on it.
>>
>> Does anyone think it would be a good idea to split the Top 25 into two
>> lists, one for games, and one for applications/other?
>>
>> By my count, every item of the top 10 is a game.  22 out of the Top 25 are
>> games or game-related.
>>
>> I don't think it's necessarily true that more people are interested in
>> running The Sims than iTunes, or that The Sims is or should be a higher
>> priority
>> than having iTunes working.
>>
>> I think it gives the wrong impression of wine and its priorities, and makes
>> a person feel a bit hopeless voting for an application no matter how many
>> millions of
>> people are users of that application on Windows.  I think people would be
>> more interested in voting for applications if they could get feedback on
>> WineHQ.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

>I wonder if we should perhaps just remove the AppDB voting system alltogether.
>As you said, it doesn't seem to be giving a good representation of users'
>interests.
>

>Alexander N. Sørnes

I think that might be a good idea. One reason is that gamers probably play multiple games and cross-vote for each other's applications. Gamers are also likely to be young, and to spend a lot of time on the net, one way and another. They tend to vote. Older people are more disengaged.
I'm just sitting here using Dragon NaturallySpeaking to avoid RSI, and to work faster. I know of a few people that use Dragon, and most of them use only that on WINE.
But Dragon NaturallySpeaking is one of the most important programs WINE can run. DNS provides an input for handicapped people, provides increased productivity for business, and encourages all forms of writing, and hence learning and creativity.
I use it to write, to take notes, to transcribe interviews. Court reporters in many US states use DNS. It's an important productivity tool.
Susan Cragin