Which graphics cards really pass the conformance tests, again?

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 16:31:45 CDT 2008

2008/10/18 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> When I put together the current patchwatcher box, I made
> sure to get a graphics card based on a recent nvidia chip.
> http://www2.pny.com/8500-GT-512MB-PCIe-P2322C269.aspx
> seemed recent enough, but I still get buttloads of
> conformance test failures in d3d and ddraw.
>
> So, which graphics cards exactly don't get any d3d or ddraw
> conformance test failures?  Are there any?  If there are, I
> want to get one on the patchwatcher box so I can cut
> back the huge blacklist a bit.

In theory anything from GF FX and up should work for nVidia cards. The
ones I'm sure about are my GF Go 7900 GS and my GF 7800 GT. AFAIK
Alexandre has a GF8 based card (not sure about the exact model), and I
assume the tests work for him. Driver versions are probably more
important than the specific card though. The latest stable driver is
177.80, slightly older versions should work as well, but eg. 169.12 is
a known bad version.

I'm not sure what the current state of AMD cards with fglrx is, but a
while ago Stefan said they were only interested in fixing issues that
directly affect applications. I have no idea if that's still AMDs
position or not. I have no idea about the state of the radeon and
radeonhd drivers.

For intel cards, i915 gets a single failure in d3d9 visual and a
couple in d3d9 device with recent git versions of mesa and drm, but
those are actually problems in wined3d and the tests which I should
fix. Not sure about other intel cards.

Mesa swrast should work as long as you don't enable GLSL, but it's
been a while since I tested that.