Winelib and static-build

Alan Nisota alannisota at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 03:15:55 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Alan Nisota wrote:
>> I have a project (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux) which is a
>> linux executable which provides access to Windows DirectShow filters
>>
>> The problem is that I normally provide a static binary so that users on
>> x86-64 can install it easily without needing a 32bit build environment...
>
> Offhand, I don't think winelib lends itself to use as a static
> library.  We're rather heavily wedded to dynamic linking,
> more so than in the past.
> How bad would it be, really, to depend on the wine package?
> I'd be happy to help you think through the obstacles
> and see if that would work for you.

I guess I wasn't clear.  I expect to need to depend on the wine package
anyway.  My understanding is that winelib apps need wineserver, so I
wasn't looking for a monolithic package.  What I was looking for is a
way to supply an executable that will run on any distro that has wine
installed already.  However, as I said, it must be a winelib app, and I
need to statically compile in libc, and librt to make a build that 'just
works' on x86-64 distros.
Or maybe I don't since wine brings a bunch of dependencies with it, but
even still, I'm not sure how to provide a binary that would work on most
distros so users don't need a 32bit build environment.

This may not be a possible goal, and I can continue using the 'loader'
lib for x86-64 builds, but wine brings a lot of advantages to my users
(ability to do direct-install with wine, and ability to use the codes's
built-in GUI configuration) so I don't like making those folks without
the knowledge/desire to setup a 32bit build environment 2nd class citizens.

(sorry if this message appears twice, I'm having mailer issues)