DIrectSound on top of openAL ?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Thu Oct 30 08:05:20 CDT 2008

> If all of the wish list gets added, it would appear the next
> specification of OpenAL would appear to me to go a long way to allowing
> wine to implement the Windows sound API's via that, rather than having
> to support various drivers.
>
> --
> Darragh

Personally I think that even if OpenAL added the functionality we need that the user experience for most users still won't be good. Most users want to play lets say mp3's while they are gaming. This means that in order to work properly OpenAL under the hood again needs to use alsa+dmix or even worse pulseaudio. For that reason I'm not sure if going directly to OpenAL instead of going through wineoss/winealsa is any better.

Roderick
Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail