DIrectSound on top of openAL ?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:26:18 CDT 2008

On Thursday 30 October 2008 03:46:51 am Darragh Bailey wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, have any of these limitations been raised with the
> OpenAL developers? Any of them in its future wish list?

I'm the developer of OpenAL Soft <http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html>,
which is becoming the implementation to use on Linux and other Unices (as the
old Sample Implementation is deprecated/not maintained anymore). Though I'm
not really hands-in with Creative or anything.. just a hobbyist developer
making a Linux lib on his own time, who gives out his ideas.

> If OpenAL was updated with the next release 1.2+ to support the type of
> access that wine needs to support the windows sound API's on linux,
> would it make it easier that supporting multiple sound drivers?

I would like to see DirectSound(3D) running properly on OpenAL, even if as a
seperate project (eg. my DSound->OpenAL DLL project). It's not up to me
whether such a thing would get into Wine or not, though.