winemenubuilder: eliminate wineshelllink

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 06:59:42 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>
>> Changelog:
>> * moved the functionality of wineshelllink into winemenubuilder, and
>> eliminated wineshelllink
>
> What is the rational for eliminating wineshelllink?

Alexandre asked for it when I tried to send a patch that gets .url
files to link into fd.o menus and the desktop. I'm not sure why, but I
agree: having 2 programs to create menus adds complexity, fewer people
understand both C and bash, patching both is ugly, debugging bash is
hard, and personally wineshelllink has always felt like a thorn in my
side when I tried to understand/change the menu code.

> It seems to me that by eliminating it we are losing a lot of flexibility
> for handling special setups (and there are a lot of these in menuing
> systems).

There shouldn't be any "special" setups, fd.o is there just for that
reason. Menus and desktop files should be bog standard now, and should
have been that way from the very beginning.

> --
> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>              http://fgouget.free.fr/
>             Research is the transformation of money to knowledge.
>            Innovation is the transformation of knowledge to money.
>                              -- Dr. Hans Meixner

Damjan Jovanovic