1st resend: Can we import MSConfig from ReactOS? (was: autorun perhaps dangerous)

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 18:38:02 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ^ [1].  msconfig is a simple GUI utility for changing certain Registry
> settings like AutoRun items and such.

I am going to hijack the thread for a sec. I think we do need a
msconfig tool, just to make it less trouble for Windows users that are
used to messing with it to have the ability to change things like
services and run entries. But with regards to autorun...

I have a patch in my tree that adds AutoRun options to winecfg if you
want to use it. I've not sent it along yet because

1. Its not done
2. I'm not sure Wine even really needs to mess with it. Scott and the
Ubuntu guys have been working to fix autorun support in Nautilus and
it mostly works now. I've not really had a chance to mess with it yet,
but from looking over the bug reports I think it could still use a few
enhancements. Windows gives you the ability to set Autorun options for
CD/DVD and Flash. I don't know if Nautilus does this. Also it needs to
have the ability to honor a WINEPREFIX variable to support Wine,
CrossOver, Bordeaux, et al.

Here is the direction I was going for, I was using the DirectSound
registry key modification code as a template but didn't finish it.
Feel free to use it as a starting point if Alexandre agrees we need to
have autorun options in winecfg.

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards