winemenubuilder: eliminate wineshelllink

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Sep 8 07:33:42 CDT 2008

Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:

> What is the rational for eliminating wineshelllink?
>
> It seems to me that by eliminating it we are losing a lot of flexibility
> for handling special setups (and there are a lot of these in menuing
> systems).

We don't gain much flexibility by splitting functionality in a C half
and a shell half, but it adds a lot of complexity and an ill-defined
interface. The original design was to do everything in shell but that
turns out to not be possible, so doing everything in C is the next best
choice.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org