configure.ac: add -Werror to default compiler options

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Sep 19 03:17:41 CDT 2008

"Dan Kegel" <dank at kegel.com> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Juan Lang <juan.lang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If a commit doesn't break on Alexandre's [and patchwatcher's] box,
>> and it gets committed, but it does break on some other machine, what
>> then?  Who fixes it?
>
> I suppose the answer there is "patchwatcher builds with multiple compilers"
> and/or "affected users with bum compilers turn off -Werror"
> and/or "we disable the errors that have high failure rates on some compilers".

No, the answer is "developers who really want their build to die on
simple warnings can turn it on". We need Wine to build properly on a
wide range of platforms and compiler versions, there's simply no way to
ensure that the compile will always be warning free.

It is very important that everybody be able to build Wine and give it a
try, even non-developers. That's why I'm so strict about portable code,
proper configure checks, and conservative makefiles. There's nothing
worse than downloading a project you want to play with and find out you
can't even compile it. A compile failure is a serious bug, and we should
do everything possible to avoid them. Making -Werror the default is the
worse thing we could do in that respect.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org