Discussion of bug versions

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 28 18:26:13 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 28/9/08, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
<snipped>
> Second, we'd like new bug reporters to not be able to
> use
> the 'CVS/GIT' version choice, but to instead be
> encouraged to
> report the current version.  (wine --version reports
> something
> that is easy to match up to the choices).

I am not sure I agree with this, but obviously it is up to the rest of
wine-devel. The pros of having CVS/GIT as version choice is that it
encourages people to try out the latest and greatest from git  - and I do;
- in wine's case, since wine has a release cyle of 3 weeks, it is less of
an issue - other software with a release cycle of 9 months benefits
greatly from people reporting bugs against CVS/GIT. (and people reporting
bugs against a release are often asked to try out CVS/GIT).

The con is actually less trouble than you think - if somebody reports a bug against CVS/GIT, it would be reasonable to assume that the report date is within a day or two compared to the git clone/rebase-origin date.
Other use of GIT (the kernel) report-date is not very indicative of
the state of the tree, but since only one person has commit-rights in wine,
the report-date is a good indicator of a specific few commits.