winemenubuilder: disable debug output for .desktop files

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:31:15 CDT 2009

You forgot to CC wine-devel in your original e-mail:

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Vincent Povirk
<madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>> However, that's a separate issue from disabling output for .desktop
>> files. I don't see many (any?) use cases where having that output when
>> launched from a gui is useful.
>
> I've been toying with the idea for some time of creating a program
> that launches things in a gui-ish way and grabs a log from them,
> eliminating a source of error in logs. I never actually got any work
> done on it. This change would make my vapourware useless.

That's not related to vanilla Wine, it's your own application. That's
still only a single vaporware case. The majority of current use cases,
however, are people that are launching applications from those
shortcuts and don't capture that information. If they're debugging,
the first thing we tell them is to run from a terminal to get that
information.

You could parse the .desktop file and remove that WINEDEBUG information.

>> Why couldn't you simply use a second WINEDEBUG="fixme+all,err+all" to
>> override the variable in the .desktop file?
>
> The command is "env WINEPREFIX="..." WINEDEBUG=-all ...". No matter
> what I set WINEDEBUG to when I start that, wine will see a WINEDEBUG
> value of -all.

I forgot about the 'env' part, thanks for clarifying.

--
-Austin