[2/3] ntdll: don't treat DOS paths starting with / as Unix paths

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Wed Apr 8 10:46:26 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Luke Benstead <kazade at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is probably a really dumb question... but why does wine support
> UNIX paths? What is the circumstance where a Windows application will
> be trying to access a native file or directory? The only example I can
> think of is that an app has specifically been written to be used in
> Wine, in which case, shouldn't native UNIX paths be disabled by
> default, and perhaps turned on with an environment variable?
>
> Luke.

I personally enjoy the ability to use UNIX paths both in calling
applications with command-line arguments and in file dialogs (even if it is
necessary to use the wrong slash in dialogs).  I imagine that there are a
lot of people that appreciate the ability to use this functionality, since
you can use the "familiar paths" you do not need to be familiar with the
windows drive mapping.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu