[2/3] ntdll: don't treat DOS paths starting with / as Unix paths

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Apr 8 10:54:03 CDT 2009

Luke Benstead <kazade at gmail.com> writes:

> This is probably a really dumb question... but why does wine support
> UNIX paths? What is the circumstance where a Windows application will
> be trying to access a native file or directory? The only example I can
> think of is that an app has specifically been written to be used in
> Wine, in which case, shouldn't native UNIX paths be disabled by
> default, and perhaps turned on with an environment variable?

It can be used anywhere an app uses a user-specified path without
mangling it too much; admittedly that doesn't happen very often, apps
like to mangle paths. There are also places where Wine itself depends on
it, to support things like "wine ~/foo.exe" or to allow Unix paths in
some registry entries.

These are all things that could probably be reimplemented in a more
reliable fashion, for instance by using \\?\unix instead of relying on
the path detection heuristic. Once this is done properly everywhere,
then maybe the hackish way could be removed.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org