do ERR messages imply bugs?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:01:05 CDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure about the opengl error. It could mean that some display
>> driver is offering some render_type flags which I'm not handling yet.
>> That can also cause issues.
>>
>> err:wgl:get_render_type_from_fbconfig Unknown render_type: 0
>
> This is all well and good, but I'm seeing this errors from pretty much any
> 3D application. Not that all these 3D apps work flawlessly on Wine to begin
> with - haven't seen one yet. But it's been a policy to ignore all messages
> from Wine until user can show the real problem. So far no tests fail - and
> that is the only acceptable "problems" from tests.

Ok, but my point is (and I'm not saying we should necessarily do
this), according to the Wine Developer's Guide an err is something
that we should be concerned about, by definition. If we buy this, and
some current err messages are often harmless, implying no loss of
important functionality, they should be changed to some other channel.

Vincent Povirk