do ERR messages imply bugs?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 12 16:36:33 CDT 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/4/12 James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>:
>

>> Bugzilla should request an application name and AppDB entry number.
>>

> Demanding an appID number will certainly keep the bug reports down,
> though at the expense of bug reporting.

The idea is that not all users look into Bugzilla to see if there is a
problem and a workaround.  They sometimes look into the Applications
Database.  If we link bugs to applications this makes it easier and then
if we link bug status back to the applications database that lets folks
know the status of a bug and if it is fixed or not (there are such
things as regressions.)
> I can't see making bug reports arbitrarily more difficult as a good
> way for devs to get an idea of what's broken.

I understand your concern.  I like bug reports, I just don't like bug
reports in a vacuum.  If we can get some of the functionality of an
automatic Bugzilla to Applications Database linker in place this would
make it much easier to avoid (not prevent) duplicate reports and for bug
reports to have application entries and the other way round.  I really
would like to see a bug report for each garbage entry in the
Applications Database with associated terminal output and such.  This
might give developers a push to fix a problem or implement code based
upon the number of related problem reports and affected programs.  For
example, if only three people report the same bug on the same program
would it make more sense to work on a problem that has fifty
reports/votes and it affects a dozen programs.

Of course, implementing the linker may be a project in itself.

James McKenzie