do ERR messages imply bugs?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 17:20:45 CDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> Vincent Povirk wrote:
>> Ok, but my point is (and I'm not saying we should necessarily do
>> this), according to the Wine Developer's Guide an err is something
>> that we should be concerned about, by definition. If we buy this, and
>> some current err messages are often harmless, implying no loss of
>> important functionality, they should be changed to some other channel.
>
> For a normal App I'd almost agree with that (unless of course App does some
> invalid stuff which some do). For the test - no. Lots of tests probe border
> cases as well as invalid conditions. Wine is 100% correct to complain about
> such situations. However that's precisely what's being tested.
>
> All tests should be written to examine one thing at a time. And most are. If
> test doesn't fail, everything else is irrelevant.

But the description doesn't say "invalid conditions". It says "serious
errors in Wine". That's something that should never happen in tests,
as it would imply that the state of the libraries we're testing (and
thus the test) is invalid.

Vincent Povirk