NTFS filesystem features -> WONTFIX?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Apr 16 02:19:05 CDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Ben Klein wrote:
[...]
> But his bug raises an interesting issue. If an application has sanity
> checks on FAT32 vs NTFS (e.g., I need a 4GB file ... I've detected no
> NTFS therefore it's FAT32 which doesn't support more than 2GB files),

Then the application is buggy: NTFS is not the only filesystem that
supports >2GB files on Windows. Even if they are not very common, there
are at leastt two drivers to use Ext2 filesystems on Windows (Ext2Fsd,
Ext2 IFS), both of which support >2GB files. Besides if Microsoft ever
changes the filesystem again, it will most certainly support >2GB files
and the application will get it wrong again.

So instead the application should only split files when it detects
either Fat16 or Fat32.

Maybe the DVD Shrink author would agree to do this change if asked?

Ext2fsd:  http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/
Ext2 IFS: http://www.fs-driver.org/

                Linux: It is now safe to turn on your computer.