Icons, logos, Tango, consistency, the user experience, and our project looks like a 2D champaign flute

Igor Tarasov tarasov.igor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:21:25 CDT 2009

2009/4/17 David Lee Lambert <davidl at lmert.com>:
> Sure, it might look out-of-place, but Windows applications are somewhat
> out-of-place on Linux.  It's very ugliness probably makes it easier to find.

The problem is, IMHO, that lately windows applications have got pretty
nice icons. But wine icon looks more "windows 95"-style. It looks
outdated, not modern. Thus wine icon produces pitiful expression.

> If the default icon is changed, current users will have more trouble finding
> it again.

No problem with new users. And with old users it will be only one-time
issue. Also, if new wine icon will be distinguishable enough, this
won't be of any problem.

Also, current wine icon has some technical problems, at least in kde:
it's png version has non-transparent shadow, so, on darker backgrounds
you can see white outline around it's shadow.

--
Igor