Icons, logos, Tango, consistency, the user experience, and our project looks like a 2D champaign flute

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:59:45 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Warren Dumortier <nwarrenfl at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/17 Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Joel Holdsworth
>> <joel at airwebreathe.org.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Apologies if you've already read this - I've been having trouble
>>> getting the message to go through.
>>>
>>> I just had a play around with Tango-ifying Wine. The end result was
>>> quite pleasing. There aren't too many icons to deal with, so it's not a
>>> long job.
>>>
>>> All I've done here is swap out the shell32 icons, but I think the
>>> experience is definitely improved (see
>>> http://www.airwebreathe.org.uk/shell32.png ). Is it worth me submitting
>>> the patch?
>>>
>>> http://www.airwebreathe.org.uk/0001-Replaced-shell32-icons-with-Tango-icons.patch.txt
>>>
>>> I tried doing the same for user32 MessageBox icons, but the end result
>>> was less pleasing. These larger icons suffer from Wine's lack of alpha
>>> channel support when it comes to icon rendering. Semitransparent areas
>>> are rendered in black which looks yucky.
>>>
>>> I'm quite interested in pursuing this. I've been following wine for a
>>> long time, but I've never worked on the code. How hard is it likely to
>>> be for me, a wine newbie, to patch for icon alpha support?
>>>
>>> Joel
>>>

>> I wouldn't be against having these patches in Wine. Half a year or so
>> ago I was also looking at this but at that time this icon set was
>> still under the creative commons license. The developers were willing
>> to relicense the icons under the LGPL (they also mentioned that
>> eventually the icons would become public domain but at that time it
>> looked to happen months away). I'm glad that they are public domain
>> now.
>>
>> Roderick
>>

> Congrats, it looks very nice and i hope it'll be included in the near future.
> Are there plans to support transparency? I hate to see a black
> background with icons...

We do support transparency. Fancy alpha blending effects might not
work but this should work I think. It might depend on the file type
which was used and perhaps the setting of a color key in a palette
(look for other wine apps which uses, some of them must be using
transparency). Further apps like Office 2007 must also be using it and
the app looks fine.

Roderick