Icons, logos, Tango, consistency, the user experience, and our project looks like a 2D champaign flute

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:11:20 CDT 2009

2009/4/18 Joel Holdsworth <joel at airwebreathe.org.uk>:
>> We do support transparency. Fancy alpha blending effects might not
>> work but this should work I think. It might depend on the file type
>> which was used and perhaps the setting of a color key in a palette
>> (look for other wine apps which uses, some of them must be using
>> transparency). Further apps like Office 2007 must also be using it and
>> the app looks fine.
>
> Well as this screenshot shows, something is broken:
> http://www.airwebreathe.org.uk/no-alpha.png . It may be that key
> transparency is supported but full alpha transparency channels are not.
> Something is wrong here, because the icons show up perfectly fine in any
> app I care to open them with.

Yeah, AlphaBlending is not supported (hence the diagonals look jagged)
-- theming is also affected.

NOTE: I have seen this happen on other Windows apps running on
Windows. You need to have the image support an alpha channel - which
I'm not sure icons do. I'm not sure of the API calls that are
required, though, so it may require some changes to the static control
support to render the bitmaps using alpha (in addition to keyed)
transparency.

- Reece