Article on wine development strategy

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 03:23:02 CDT 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009 05:21:20 Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://yokozar.org/blog/archives/48 is a fun little look
> at using simulation to see how various strategies
> might affect Wine development.

Interesting, but largely academic.

> The one that worked out best was to pick some random
> user who's almost happy, fix the last few bugs that
> are keeping his apps from working, and then once
> he's happy, move on to the next such user.

The problem seems to be identifying these people. The model assumes that you
can tell which piece of software almost works, and that you know the almost
happy users. In reality, you only seem to hear from the pretty unhappy users
and the occasional really happy user. Susan Cragin is about the only user I
can think of off the top of my head who's almost happy and could be made
completely happy by fixing all of the remaining bugs in DNS.

Also, reality has us deal with the fact that new applications are added while
we're working on the old ones, and looking at the graphs, we're only going to
make a significant number of users happy when we're about 98% done fixing the
bugs. I realize that it's a bit hard to model "rate of new applications with
new bugs being added", but that's what happens in real life.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin