Icons, logos, Tango, consistency, the user experience, and our project looks like a 2D champaign flute

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 10:05:10 CDT 2009

2009/4/18 King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>>
>> Scott Ritchie wrote:
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, I'll try drumming up some artists to see if I can get a few
>>> different Tango-compliant icons for us to chose from.
>>>

>> Apparently my work has already been done!  There are some beautiful icons
>> originally made for Ubuntu Studio that have give me everything I asked
>> (tango-compliance and not looking too fat).
>>
>> Ubuntu users can install the ubuntustudio-icon-theme package and look
>> inside /usr/share/icons/UbuntuStudio/scalable/apps for the icons.  There are
>> 5 of them: wine.svg, wine-notepad.svg, wine-winecfg.svg,
>> wine-uninstaller.svg, and wine-winefile.svg
>>
>> If you're not on Ubuntu you can download the package and open it up like
>> it were a tar file:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ubuntustudio-icon-theme
>>
>> I've mirrored the icons here:
>> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine.svg
>> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-notepad.svg
>> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-winecfg.svg
>> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-winefile.svg
>> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-uninstaller.svg
>>
>> Any comment on these?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott Ritchie
>>

> I may be being a bit too picky here, but shouldn't the Winefile icon use an
> icon similar to the Windows File Manager? Like the cabinet icon used for
> Nautilus? Also, perhaps Wine apps should automatically get the Wine icon
> emblem set to them when they are installed and icons converted into Linux
> .desktop launchers.

That's what it already has. It looks like File Manager on an old
Windows system. The argument is, to make it integrate better into the
host system, that it needs icons that look more host-system-ish. And I
agree, though my favourite colour is blue, so maybe I'm biased :)

2009/4/18 André Hentschel <nerv at dawncrow.de>:
> Hi,
> thanks for your work, its great. i just patch my wine with it ;)
> The only negativ point would be the color for me. i rather would see it in
> "Windowsyellow" just to keep a bit of the look and feel.

Making the icon(s) configurable would be a bonus.

2009/4/18 Reece Dunn <msclrhd at googlemail.com>:
> Yeah, AlphaBlending is not supported (hence the diagonals look jagged)
> -- theming is also affected.
>
> NOTE: I have seen this happen on other Windows apps running on
> Windows. You need to have the image support an alpha channel - which
> I'm not sure icons do. I'm not sure of the API calls that are
> required, though, so it may require some changes to the static control
> support to render the bitmaps using alpha (in addition to keyed)
> transparency.

I believe *some* versions of the ANI/CUR/ICO formats support alpha
channels, but I couldn't tell you where to look. Out of interest, what
format do Vista/Windows 7 icons use, and do they support alpha
channels? (I seem to recall some transparency effects on Vista icons,
could be wrong).