XI2 DirectInput mouse implementation RFC (Tarballed)

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Apr 19 05:46:20 CDT 2009

Am Sonntag, 19. April 2009 10:41:34 schrieb Paul TBBle Hampson:
> (Resend, the first email never arrived. I didn't realise one of my
> patches was 33k >_<)
>
> I've thrown together a rather-rough-but-working-in-a-limited-sense
> implementation of XInput2-based DirectInput.
>
> It's got a fair few problems, I'm mainly interested in feedback on
> the approach, although obviously any code or style criticisms are
> welcome.
>
> Current limitations:
> * Doesn't check for XInput2.h, so it won't build without it. (Laziness)
>   It will _run_ without XInput2, falling back to the current dinput
>   WndProc hooks even if compiled with XInput2 support.
I'm not that much into all the input code, but I always understood it the way
that dinput should always use WndProc hooks, and winex11.drv implements the
relative movement part either with XI2 or warping if XI2 is not available.
Ie, there should be no difference between XI2 and legacy operation in
dinput.dll. That would, I think, make native dinput work as well as the
builtin one, and help apps that rely on hooks the same way native dinput
does(if there are any).

The problem is that this means the warping has to be moved to winex11, which
is something Vitaliy tried before and failed

I could be entirely wrong with that though. And I have no idea how that would
affect mouse grabbing, or window focus issues etc.