Possible regression today's git wine-1.1.19-153-g55ad3fd

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 20 21:19:50 CDT 2009

>>> Never mind that. This looks more promising. At least, to me it does. The actctx error I get all the time, but I've never seen the other, and it happend right as the system froze up.
>>>
>>> fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)
>>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Broken pipe
>>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Broken pipe
>>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Broken pipe
>>> err:wave:wodPlayer_WriteMaxFrags Error in writing wavehdr. Reason: Success
>>
>> Interesting. You are running Ubuntu studio 8.10 without pulseaudio, right?
>>
>> Have you updated the system between version runs (that may have
>> reintroduced pulseaudio, for example)?
>>
>> Are you running any other sound applications (or the sound that is
>> played after boot on Ubuntu)?
>>
>> Could you perform a git bisect to identify the guilty change?
>
>Doing some investigation, I have found
>(http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/HowTo_Asynchronous_Playback):
>"""
>That is basically all there is to the callback. Note however, that
>this example does not include error checking, which is a good idea of
>course. Occasionally, you may have to restore from a buffer under-run,
>in case the computer was caught up in some other process and didn't
>get to calling your callback. Whenever this happens, the first
>operation you perform on the device, in this case
>snd_pcm_avail_update, will return -EPIPE (a 'Broken Pipe' error). You
>can restore from this by calling the snd_pcm_prepare function again.
>"""
>
>This may be what you are experiencing here. I'd need to look into this
>further, but to be honest, I'm a little out of depth with the Windows
>and Wine sound interfaces.
>
>- Reece

Reece:
I purged pulseaudio and checked that it had not been re-installed. I run Ubuntu 9.04 with all updates. I also use a test version of alsa-driver since my sound card is difficult to recognize but so far have had only great results -- no impact on wine at all.
The problem I am experiencing manifests itself in the program freezing... could be the sound, could also be the buttons doing something odd. One button's on-off toggle switches suddenly with no input on my part.
Regression test is below.
Susan

b958dfdc4769515c0ef56c401430dd3e3980aabf is first bad commit
commit b958dfdc4769515c0ef56c401430dd3e3980aabf
Author: Huw Davies <huw at codeweavers.com>
Date:   Thu Apr 16 11:51:45 2009 +0100

    ole32: Change helper function to return the matching entry.

:040000 040000 2964979dee4f353e1d565f7c20d8fdcc534f006d 8744cfee2e33db4799f58f102825103f565e18b9 M	dlls