The DIB engine... does anyone know how to get it into Wine?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:32:14 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com> wrote:
>> 2) when winedib.drv is working good enough, wanted to "detach" it from
>>   winex11.drv, so make another "driver" comprising DDB parts of wineX11
>>   and all optimizations needed.
>

> This detaching thing is a little worrying.  How will winex11 be called
> after detaching?  Through winedib or gdi again?  The first would not
> change functionality at all.  The second is like the two driver
> method.  It sounds like we ought to stick to the two separate drivers
> as a basis in development so we don't end up with something that can't
> be unglued easily.

We shouldn't introduce a temporary driver. I can't speak for Alexandre
but I think he would prefer to let winex11.drv not directly touch DIBs
and move it to gdi32 and I guess in a second step also move the
conversion code over to gdi32 and work with some capability flags
which the display driver uses to tell whether it can render at a
certain depth or not. Depending on that gdi32 should execute the
current conversion code. In a next step the DIB engine can be added.

Roderick