The DIB engine... does anyone know how to get it into Wine?

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:48:31 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Roderick Colenbrander
<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Jesse Allen <the3dfxdude at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com> wrote:
>>> 2) when winedib.drv is working good enough, wanted to "detach" it from
>>>   winex11.drv, so make another "driver" comprising DDB parts of wineX11
>>>   and all optimizations needed.
>>

>> This detaching thing is a little worrying.  How will winex11 be called
>> after detaching?  Through winedib or gdi again?  The first would not
>> change functionality at all.  The second is like the two driver
>> method.  It sounds like we ought to stick to the two separate drivers
>> as a basis in development so we don't end up with something that can't
>> be unglued easily.
>>

> We shouldn't introduce a temporary driver. I can't speak for Alexandre
> but I think he would prefer to let winex11.drv not directly touch DIBs
> and move it to gdi32 and I guess in a second step also move the
> conversion code over to gdi32 and work with some capability flags
> which the display driver uses to tell whether it can render at a
> certain depth or not. Depending on that gdi32 should execute the
> current conversion code. In a next step the DIB engine can be added.
>
> Roderick

The reason for the DIB driver approach, was a way to separate out the
DIB processing from winex11 without making any changes to it at the
current time.  This would help prevent breaking anything when the
change was introduced.  When I did my project, it was the top idea, so
I showed how this could work.  Huw has done some work based on this
idea as well, and Max utilized both to fix problems in AutoCAD.  I'm
not sure if the DIB driver is being considered much by Alexandre
anymore, so I've been hesitant to push for merging the code.  Max said
there were problems with the two driver approach.

Your idea of moving DIB processing out of winex11, and then creating a
DIB engine is a good idea, and I have been thinking much the same the
past few days.  We should if the driver approach is dead.

Jesse