golly, mime type integration DOES work...

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:18:19 CDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Dan Kegel<dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Ben A L
> Jemmett<ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>>> [Visual Studio 2005]
>>> Repainting after scrolling was a bit lazy, and creating a new
>>> project still requires ie6, but it was a nice surprise all the same.
>>
>> I wouldn't be too surprised if that was a VS2005 bug, not a Wine issue -- it
>> also has horrendous redraw problems running under Vista with Aero/DWM, for
>> instance.  http://forums.asp.net/p/1088151/1624585.aspx is an example
>> complaint I found when doing a "is this just me?" search last year.
>
> The laziness isn't too bad - it's in the text area, happens when scrolling,
> and clears itself within a tenth of a second.  We're probably just not
> handling bitblt fast enough, or something?
> - Dan

What version of Wine and display drivers are you using? In 1.1.26 I
added a bunch of XRender related patches to accelerate already big
chunks of bitblt (less roundtrips to X are needed). In some situations
it can already boost performance a lot depending on the display
drivers. There are more bitblt improvements possible though. For
example in case of SRCCOPY, which is the most common blit operation, I
can save a 'memcpy' by getting rid of an intermediate buffer.

I have some more patches which can dramatically improve rendering
performance soon in cases where programs hit dibsection depth
conversion.

I can't easily say what is making Visual Studio slow but I guess it is
a combination of slow drivers (fglrx is quite slow) and bitblt
slowness.

Roderick