backward binary compatibility of winelib

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Sun Aug 9 01:49:57 CDT 2009

Hi Andrey,

"Андрей Пономаренко" <abi.compliance.checker at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm from Institute for System
> Programming of Russian Academy of Sciences and we are developing a free
> lightweight tool for checking backward/forward binary compatibility of
> shared C/C++ libraries in OS Linux. It checks interface signatures and
> data type definitions in two library versions (headers and shared
> objects) and searches ABI changes that may lead to incompatibility.
> We have released 1.2 version of this tool and we'd like you to consider
> its usefulness for your project.
> The wiki-page with the latest release of binary compatibility checker is
> http://ispras.linux-foundation.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker

Wine (and winelib) is supposed to be binary compatible with Windows
applications, so it's virtually impossible to make it incompatible
in future versions. There is one tiny possibility, that a winelib
app uses an internal Wine interfaces and the interface changes, but
that should not be an issue.

--
Dmitry.