Review: winex11.drv: Add workaround for 'phantom key' presence in X

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Tue Aug 11 14:37:41 CDT 2009

A bug made itself present in VkKeyScan's handling of the less-than
character on US (and other) keyboard layouts.  VkKeyScan('<') in Windows
returns 0x1bc, which is VK_OEM_COMMA with the shift key flag set.  In
Wine, VkKeyScan('<') returns 0xe2, which is VK_OEM_102, or the VK for
the "infamous phantom key".

The root cause of this is X's XKeysymToKeycode returning the keycode for
the phantom key instead of the keycode for the comma key when passed the
keysym for '<' (XK_less).  This isn't incorrect on X's part, but
inconvenient for Wine as most US keyboards don't have the <> key, but
rather use the shifted comma key.

The attached patch adds a new field in the main_key_tab structure.  The
new field indicates which keysym, if any, should be passed to
XKeysymToKeycode instead of '<'.  I've filled this field in for every
keyboard type already defined in keyboard.c.

Since winex11.drv is a pretty touchy part of Wine, I'm sending this
patch to wine-devel for review.  I don't have the hardware or software
setup to test other language inputs, and LoadKeyboardLayout is not
implemented so I can't just test with VkKeyScanEx.  If you're using a
foreign keyboard, especially one with a <> key, please test VkKeyScan's
handling of the '<' character with this patch applied.

Thanks
Andrew