mp3 update

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:19:38 CDT 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 12:03:02 pm Reece Dunn wrote:
> But there is a reason for using our own version -- the HeapAlloc/Free
> and Wine tracing changes that Aric mentioned in the initial email. So
> for that reason, it won't be practical to dynamically link.

Needing to change malloc->HeapAlloc and free->HeapFree is part of a larger
problem. Other libraries are more important in this regard, but cannot be
changed (eg. libGL mallocs tons of data, and we can't change that). A better
way to handle that would be to override malloc (or more specifically mmap) to
pull from Wine's heap.

There are patches in the works that do this, but there's straggling issues
that AJ hasn't been able to work out yet. This is something that really needs
to be done anyway, as GL/D3D are really suffering on cards with a lot of VRAM,
so I don't think citing that as an issue is valid.