about video memory detection in wine

Sun, Sunny Sunny.Sun at amd.com
Sat Aug 15 02:25:27 CDT 2009

Hi

Here I just want to tell you that if a user uses an old driver that we don't support querying total memory will lead to vidmem = 0, that is unexpected, so we should have a check.

It doesn't matter that the total memory is not documented, as long as it can tell you the true value.

And for the old card that doesn't support ATI_meminfo can still go the fall back path.

I think the biggest benefit from using this extension is that you don't have to update the vidmem list for newly realeased ATI cards, and you can get the correct amount of video memory for the same render string but with different video memory (eg: HD4870 may have 1GB memory or only 512MB memory)

Regards

Sunny