configure: Detect and use tools executable extensions for makefiles.

Dylan Smith dylan.ah.smith at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:37:10 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Alexandre Julliard<julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Any decent shell should be able to run apps without .exe suffix on
> Windows.

There is no problem with running something with an exe suffix, it is
the Makefile rules that are causing the trouble.

For instance, when building a program, this seems to be invoked:
$ gcc   ../../tools/wrc/wrc.o   -o ../../tools/wrc/wrc
which naturally leads to undefined functions from this type of linking.

This seems to be caused by the rules:
$(RC_SRCS:.rc=.res) $(MC_SRCS:.mc=.mc.res) $(RC_SRCS16:.rc=.res): $(WRC)
that originates from Make.rules.in.

If this is a regression, then maybe this should be approached
differently to return the old behaviour.

Similarly my other patch wasn't created because of a problem with
running an .exe, it was the problems with explicit checks for
executable file:
winegcc: Find winebuild.exe instead of winebuild on windows.
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2009-August/077487.html

Perhaps the checks in the winegcc's spawn function are the problem in
this case, and should be removed or enhanced to deal with this case.

I can do some regression testing to find the commits at fault, which I
may be able to identify with git-blame, but will take some testing to
be sure.