work underway: Dependency on openal incoming

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Tue Dec 1 08:18:34 CST 2009

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Maarten Lankhorst <m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Alexandre,
>>
>> Alexandre Julliard schreef:
>>> Openal missing at compile time or at runtime should be handled the same
>>> way, i.e. by reporting no sound devices. It doesn't make sense to have
>>> two different failure modes.
>>>
>> Mac OSX can only link directly to openal with -framework OpenAL, so
>> dynamic linking is impossible. As a result dsound will fail to load if
>> libopenal is missing. I don't think there is a better way to handle
>> this without ugliness, I'm confident that all distributions are
>> shipping a version of openal these days, even the 64-bits ones.
>
> I don't see why you couldn't dynamically load a framework,
You can. The "proper" way to do this is to use the CFBundle API. First
you need to find the framework. Typically, it's in
/System/Library/Frameworks, but the user might have a custom OpenAL in
/Library/Frameworks or in $HOME/Library/Frameworks. Then we tack on the
name of the framework we want, and create a CFURL object with the
finished path. We can pass this to CFBundleCreate() to get a bundle
object back. Then, we can use CFBundleLoadExecutable() to load the
bundle into memory. You can use CFBundleGetFunctionPointerForName() and
CFBundleGetFunctionPointersForNames() to extract function pointers from
the bundle, and when you're done with it, you can use
CFBundleUnloadExecutable(), followed by a CFRelease(), to close the bundle.

The other way to do this is to use wine_dlopen() on the framework
executable, which is typically a file with the same name as the
framework in the framework directory (so, for OpenAL, it would be a file
named "OpenAL" in the "OpenAL.framework" directory). Then we can just
use wine_dlsym() to extract function pointers like any other dynamic
library. You still have to find the framework, though, which again is
usually in one of the standard directories.

If you want, I can write you some functions that will do all this for you.

Chip