Please Review - Revised OS X Application Bundle patch

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Dec 4 09:33:38 CST 2009

Hi,

+ * NOTES: An Application Bundle generally has the following layout
+ *
+ * foo.app/Contents
+ * foo.app/Contents/Info.plist
+ * foo.app/Contents/MacOS/foo (can be script or real binary)
+ * foo.app/Contents/Resources/appIcon.icns (Apple Icon format)
+ * foo.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/infoPlist.strings
+ * foo.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib (Menu Layout)

Could you please comment on why you think that using a .app is the
right approach? (please explain the goal: provide desktop icons?)
What do you plan to put into that bundle?
What would the menu be? (Is there one at all?)

As an alternative, I've been creating .command files, as explained
in the FAQ http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/FAQs
They seem conceptually simpler yet provide what you'll find
in the xyz.desktop file that Wine produces on Linux:
 - Icon
 - Terminal window that shows Wine's log and I/O from application.
   Where does such output go in the .app case?
 - file name
 - Change Directory to app's directory (or any other)
   It does not depend on wine start /unix
   Isn't that missing from your patch:
+    fprintf(file, "#!/bin/sh\n");
+    fprintf(file, "WINEPREFIX=\"%s\" wine \"%s\" %s\n\n",
+            wine_get_config_dir(), path, args);
   This information is present in the .desktop files
 - Move the icon anywhere you like and click to start it.
   There's no dependency on Applications/ or any other setting.
 - Easily modified by the user to change WINEPREFIX, add WINEDEBUG
   or whatever -- if needed at all.
You'll remember that I presented my approach on 2009-09-14 in this list.

I was wondering whether Wine should create such xyz.command files on MacOS
instead of the xyz.desktop ones.  They are so close to each other.

Perhaps it is precisely that additional Terminal.app window that
you or other Mac users might dislike?
(I've not investigated whether there are "hide" or "auto-close on exit"
properties that could be set.)

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle